Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger

Representing the 2nd District of Maryland

Connect with Dutch

Ruppersberger Presents Congressional Badge of Bravery to Baltimore City Police Officer

Apr 25, 2017
Press Release
Officer heroically protected partner during shoot-out with narcotics suspect

(Timonium, MD) – Today, Congressman C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-MD) presented a Congressional Badge of Bravery to a Baltimore City Police Officer who heroically acted to protect his partner during a dramatic shoot-out in November 2015. 

Detective Thomas Young and his partner were confronted by an armed gun suspect while conducting a narcotics investigation in the Park Heights neighborhood of Northwest Baltimore. Detective Young was shot three times in the leg while defending himself and his partner in the ensuing firefight. The suspect succumbed to his injuries.

“Detective Young’s immediate reaction to the imminent threat quite possibly saved the life of his partner,” Congressman Ruppersberger said. “His actions demonstrated extraordinary bravery and a willingness to save the lives of others, without regard for his own personal safety. It is my deepest honor to present him with this Congressional Badge of Bravery today.”

Congressional Badges of Bravery are awarded annually to federal, state, and local law enforcement officers who engage in exceptional acts of bravery while in the line of duty.  Recipients are selected annually by the U.S. Attorney General and medals are presented by their Congressional representatives.

When Detective Young and his partner entered the area of Oakmont Avenue in their unmarked vehicle, both detectives observed a subject holding a black handgun. The subject appeared startled by their presence and dropped the handgun to the ground. He then quickly retrieved it and pointed it at Detective Young’s partner, who was seated in the driver’s seat of their vehicle.

Fearing for their safety, Detective Young quickly exited the vehicle and drew his weapon. Detective Young identified himself as police, and ordered him to drop his weapon.  The subject turned his gun on Detective Young and fired repeatedly. Both detectives immediately returned fire.

The firefight between the subject and the two officers lasted approximately 90 seconds, at which point the subject collapsed to the ground. Shortly thereafter, he succumbed to his injuries.  Detective Young was shot three times in the leg and was treated at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma.