Passport Information and Tips
Currently, there is an extremely high travel and passport demand. The U.S. Department of State has limited in-person service in order to prioritize life-or-death emergency travel. As such, there are no no walk-in appointments available at this time.
Read the State Department’s tips, below, before booking an international trip to avoid unnecessary stress or missing out.
- Send applications via trackable mail to track it before it enters the State Department’s system. You can pay an extra $17.56 for one-to-two-day return delivery.
- Apply four to six months in advance of travel. Save $60.00 by applying for routine service and reduce last-minute planning stress.
- Check the expiration date on your current passport. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip.
- It may take up to six weeks after applying before your application is “In Process.” During this time, applications are at the State Department’s service partner facilities.
- The State Department cannot locate passport applications sent to them until they are uploaded in their systems and showing as "In Process."
- Check application status online at passportstatus.state.gov.
- Do not rely on a last-minute appointment. Plan around the 18-week and 12-week door-to-door times.
- Do not re-apply while waiting for your passport unless instructed to do so by an agency or center.
- Do not mail applications directly to an agency unless a customer service manager instructed you to do so.
- Submit Congressional inquiries only once. Do not contact more than one office.
Travel.state.gov: Find passport related information, forms, entry/exit requirements, passport validity information and FAQs.
Integrated Acceptance Facility Database: Identify acceptance facilities near you.
Passport Agency Appointment: Make an appointment at an agency for emergencies.
USPS Appointment Scheduling System: Make an appointment at a USPS acceptance facility.
Passport Status Check: Check the status of a pending application.