Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed
  • Constituent Service By The Numbers This Session

  • 59

    Constituent Cases Closed

  • 309

    Constituent Mail Responses

  • 87,620.00

    Dollars Recovered for MD02

Connect with Dutch

Passports: FAQ

Congressman Ruppersberger’s office is pleased to assist you in obtaining a U.S. passport. Please review the following Frequently Asked Questions before contacting the office, as they may contain the information you need. Complete and up-to-date information is also available at the State Department’s Passport Services website.

Before traveling abroad, Congressman Ruppersberger recommends checking for travel alerts and warnings that could affect your safety and security at the State Department's Consular Information Program website.

Where do I apply for a passport?

You’ll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time; if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago or if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under 16, or your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen.

You can apply at most U.S. post offices. Also, many local Clerks of Court, public libraries and other state, county, township, and municipal government offices accept passport applications on behalf of the State Department.  To find out where you can apply, visit their passport facility locator.

What do I need to bring with me?

  • Completed application form
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: either a certified copy of your birth certificate or a previous passport
  • A set of identical recent photographs (2x2 inches/must show full face, front view - these can be taken at most post offices)
  • Proof of identity: valid driver’s license, military ID, government ID, corporate ID, certificate of naturalization or citizenship
  • Social Security Card (a Social Security number is not required to get a passport)
  • A check or money order made payable to Passport Services.

How much does it cost?

Passports cost $110 for adults, plus a $25 execution fee. If you are under the age of 16, passports cost $80, plus a $25 execution fee. Expedited passports (those needed in less than two weeks) cost an additional $60.

How long will it take to receive my passport?

Click here for current passport processing times. Because of heavy volume, it is best to apply several months prior to your scheduled departure.

What if I need my passport in a hurry?

If you would like to expedite your passport, you must provide proof of urgency (including airline tickets or airline itinerary) in addition to the aforementioned items at the time of application. The application should be sent to the National Passport Processing Center, PO Box 90955, Philadelphia, PA, 19190-0955, through an overnight mail service, such as USPS, Fedex or UPS. You must include a self-addressed, pre-paid overnight mail envelope for the return of your passport.

How do I renew my Passport?

You can renew by mail if you meet these conditions:

  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged
  • You received the passport within the past 15 years
  • You were at least age 16 when it was issued
  • You still have the same name or can legally document your name change.

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person. To renew your U.S. Passport by mail, you must submit Form DS-82. Locate Form DS-82 and step-by-step instructions here.

Still have questions? Contact our office!

If you would like Congressman Ruppersberger’s office to help you obtain a U.S. passport, please contact our office at 410-628-2701. You will need to submit a Privacy Act Release form, which you can generate here. The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits any department or agency of the federal government from releasing any personal information about a person without their written permission. This form will enable me to initiate an inquiry on your behalf. For quicker processing, fax your completed form to 410-628-2708. You can also mail your form or submit it in person to 375 West Padonia Road, Suite 200, Timonium, MD, 21093.