Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed
  • Constituent Service By The Numbers This Session

  • 59

    Constituent Cases Closed

  • 309

    Constituent Mail Responses

  • 87,620.00

    Dollars Recovered for MD02

Connect with Dutch

Consumer Complaints: FAQ

If you are having a problem with a business or product, or you believe you have been cheated, defrauded or harassed by a business, Congressman Ruppersberger’s office may be able to help. The information you need may be contained below. The federal government also offers a comprehensive website answering frequently asked questions about consumer matters.

 Which government agencies handle consumer complaints?

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau works to make markets for consumer financial products and services work for Americans — whether they are applying for a mortgage, choosing among credit cards, or using any number of other consumer financial products. You can file a complaint about a mortgage or credit card company online.

Maryland’s Attorney General also has a Consumer Protection Division that offers online complaint filing. You can also reach them at:

Maryland Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 Saint Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202
410-528-8662 (Consumer Complaints)
410-576-6550 (Consumer Information)
410-528-1840 (Medical billing complaints)
1-888-743-0023 (toll free)

The Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Consumer Protection division can provide some assistance. While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer disputes, your complaint, comment, or inquiry may help them spot a pattern of law violations requiring law enforcement action. It can also help them recognize and tell people about larger trends affecting consumers.

Still have questions? Contact our office!

If you would like Congressman Ruppersberger’s office to help you with a consumer matter, please contact the district office at 410-628-2701. You may need to submit a Privacy Act Release form, which you can generate here. The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits any department or agency of the federal government from releasing any personal information about a person without their written permission. This form will enable me to initiate an inquiry on your behalf. For quicker processing, fax your completed form to 410-628-2708. You can also mail your form or submit it in person to 375 West Padonia Road, Suite 200, Timonium, MD, 21093.